Thursday, April 30, 2009

Wait to Worry?

Hi everyone!

For those counting... third post! I have been to the doc and back... and just waking up from my pain med-induced siesta! So, given that I am bit groggy, I will be short and sweet...

Luciana is almost 2. (HOW CAN THAT BE?!?!) Over the years of reading blogs about families with children through adoption, certain developmental delays seem to be common and not a real cause for alarm... however, I find myself in a tough spot as we creep closer to this next milestone.

Lucy is not speaking as much as the "typical" two year old should be. I know, I know... what is typical? Still, it is clear to us that she has some type of language delay. In my non-medical opinion/observation, it would seem to me that if you spend the first 8+ months of your life in a Spanish speaking country and are completely uprooted to a home where people "maybe, sort of, sometimes, but not-so-much" speak a little Spanish, but really, you are taking in an entirely new language... well, that your language should be allowed a little longer to develop, to stew in the juices and all that. I know it is all getting in there, and it is clear to me that she understands us very well... the whole comprehension bit is great. Lucy has been able to make her needs knows (has she ever!), and she responds to our requests (get your ball, where's your nose, hug mama, etc) appropriately... she just isn't talking much. (Perhaps I talk enough for both of us!) At times, she does show frustration when she wants to tell us something and doesn't have the words... those times are hard for all of us.

So, here's what she can do... she says a lot of the expected stuff... mama, dada, brother, papa, mimi, nana, ball, baby, up, done, hi, bye, baby, woof, meow, my, ELMO, and some others... and often she has phrases that we understand... thank you, milk please, more please, "teese"... and she babbles from sunup to sundown, as well as "sings", yells, grunts and groans, and sometimes signs to make her point. Soooooooooooo, is that enough for now? Or, do we call Early Intervention while she is still young enough to qualify and request services? I hate to miss the boat on one hand, but I try not to borrow trouble when it's really not necessary. Her pediatrician has said that he is not worried.... that was several months ago. I trust him, but I also know that he does not have a child adopted from another country, nor do (I imagine) most of his clients. So, that's where I reach out to you all...

I feel like I have read a similar post on many of your blogs... and it usually said something like, "He wasn't talking very much before his 2nd birthday, and now we can't get him to STOP!" ha ha! But, if anyone is reading something here that is more of a red flag, I would truly appreciate the advice. Her two year check-up is in a couple of months, so I have that to look forward to, but I do know that if I want to refer her for support, it takes time and is better to start sooner than later. So Moms, Dads, friends.... what do you think? Provide my sweetie with some therapy, or grab a life jacket and wait for the floodgates to open!?!?

Much love.

10 comments:

Bobbi said...

When I was worried I made an appt. w/ her ped and talked it over w/her. Also, maybe they can give you a range of what is technically expected of a typical two year old (or 22 month old) so you can see how she compares. I knew exactly what it was last year at this time, but now it escapes me. You know I have been where you are, so I can totally relate.

How is it that I sit down to my computer while I eat breakfast, lunch, and to breathe before I make dinner and you have posted?? I am enjoying it!!

Vanessa said...

I love that photo!

Steph said...

What is your gut telling you??? Then do that. I know, easier said than done! (great advice coming from someone who over analyzes everything! ha!) There certainly is no harm in having her assessed through early intervention if you take that route. It is free (at least in our state) and they will assess to determine if she needs any therapy. If she does, then the next step. If not, then you can stop worrying.

On the other hand, our international adoption clinic said they like to see 2 year olds saying at least 20 words. It sounds like she is probably already there.

BUT, I know you have already thought all of these things so just follow your mommy gut. You know what you need to do.

Greta Jo said...

First pray about it! Love the photo.

Becky said...

I wish I had some advice for you, but I'm going through the same thing. Jack turns 2 on May 26th. The ONLY words he says...MaMa, DaDa,rou rou (dog), bok bok (chicken). Everything else is Da. He shows frustration that he can't speak too I'm going to ask our Doc at the 2 year well baby check what she wants us to do. At our 18 month appointment she wasn't worried, I wonder if she will be now.

I'm glad to see you posting and I hope you get better soon!
Becky and Jack

Laurie said...

I can't believe Luciana is almost 2! My how time flies!

I would encourage you to have her evaluated for early intervention. What harm would it do? Bella was evaluated and received services at her daycare. I didn't really think she was behind but I thought heck if someone wants to spend an hour a week one on one with my child, that's great! The consensus is since she spent the first 8+ months hearing Spanish, she should be on track with a child 8 months younger then she. Bella came home at 4 months and still qualified for services. She was rathe late at everything and didn't really start talking until 2 months after she turned 2 and then she had a language EXPLOSION! Then again 2 months later. She is quite the talker now and it's amazing the words she knows, uses and understands! If you have any questions for me, don't hesitate to email me at guate_mama05 @ yahoo.com!

Laurie

Laurie said...

Oops I think I left out a sentence. The concensus is on the thread on Guatadopt discussing this same issue!

Suzanne said...

Beth, Our daughter, also adopted from Guatemala has some severe delays. So I would say that it doesn't hurt to call and have her evaluated. Chances are they are going to tell you she is fine. My girlfriend had the same issue with her son, except he had no words. By the time he was 2 1/2 he was talking up a storm.

Darcy said...

Beth~ I'd say go with your gut! You wrote the same things on your blog that I contemplated myself. Our daughter Luci adopted from Guatemala was not talking much at 2either and like you said about your Lucy she had great receptive language but didn't have great expressive language. She was assessed and qualified for birth to three services. she now has in home speech therapy 2x's a week and has made great strides. I'm so glad that I followed my gut. It can't hurt. Good Luck in your decision.
Darcy

Beth said...

This advice has all been so wonderful! Thank you! I am going to push through the end of the school year, and then take some time to connect with EI/CDS folks and Lucy's pediatrician... we will go from there. Your thoughts and experiences were a big help!! I am so lucky. :)