Wednesday, February 27, 2008

It's My "Blogoversary" Today!

One year ago tonight, I sat down and started the sharing of our family's journey to Luciana... a baby we only knew in our hearts that night.

I thought it would be worth a look back at what I had to say one year ago:

Yes, It's True

"The word is out.

Keith, Sam and I have decided to add to our family through adoption. Keith and I have talked about this for months (maybe years). When we knew that we were truly ready, we talked to Sam. In an effort to keep this sweet and to the point, I will only say that the decision was unanimous. Yay! Phew! Yay!

So, in thinking of all of you and the obvious questions and wonderings you would have in regard to this exciting and wonderful (we think!) decision, I have decided to try my hand at this blog idea. I have to be honest in sharing that I have no idea what I am doing, but why should that stop me!?! If this (blog) becomes more than a one shot deal, I would love to share the story of the night we sat around the dinner table and first talked with Sam about adoption and what that might mean for our family. I can at least tell you this, it was a conversation we will not soon forget, and it brings JOY to my heart whenever I think about it.

Well, I thought I would use this first post to bring you up to speed on where we have been and where we are.When we made the decision to pursue adoption, I set right out to learn everything there was to learn. I made calls, surfed every website I came across, talked to anyone I knew who was remotely connected to the adoption world. I was immediately fascinated (and a little obsessed) with everything I learned, and the more I learned, the more questions I had. What is the process? Who are the children? What is the timeframe? I quickly discovered that I knew very little about International Adoption, and I wanted to inhale it all in one breath. I couldn't. Thank goodness. Keith soon reminded me that this was a marathon, and not a sprint. Now that I have slowed myself, taking it one tenth of a mile at a time, I am also reminded to take a look around. We may be facing a long road, but I believe there will be plenty of moments to stop and absorb.Oh gosh, I promised Mom if I did this that I would not write a novel... and here I am well onto the first chapter!

Let me share the details we are most often asked about:After hooking up with an agency near home, we began to collect a small mountain of paperwork. I have been reassured that this is only the beginning of paperwork to come. Lucky for us, my schedule makes tracking down legal documents more manageable. Right before the first document was notarized (thank you, Padre), we began to share our news with our dear family and friends. What can we say? You have always been supportive and loving in our lives, and have shown us only the same again. We are so blessed.

What else? Let's see. We attended adoption education classes. The classes were great. I think that had a lot to do with our fabulous teacher, and the truly lovely people we were lucky enough to attend with. We have also started our "Home Study". We have a case worker assigned to our family. Sue. She has been to the house once already. We felt very comfortable with her. She will come back again next week. She sort of has the control over when the next steps can happen. Once she has written her report on our family (only slighlty nerve wracking), we will be able to move forward into what is the heart and soul of the adoption. Once we are there, I will explain in more detail.

For now, we are planning to adopt a girl from Guatemala. I say "planning to" because we know that things can change. We imagine that she will be younger than a year old, but again, can't say for sure. We only know that, one day,we will be bringing our daughter home and she will be so loved. Is it possible to love someone you have not even met yet?We are happy, we are nervous, and we continue to feel truly blessed.If posting this information is helpful and/or interesting to you, I will do my best to keep it up to date as things occur.

Oh, and about the name of this blog.... I will post the story that lead to that soon. For me, it was yet another way that Sam reassured me that he is going to be a wonderful big brother.Thank you each for your support now, and for that which I know we will need down the road.

Much love."

One year ago... wow.

6 comments:

Bobbi said...

Can you beleive it has already been a year? Seems like I jsut read that post. Now, I come here to see Lucy (hopefully in pigtails again soon, but no pressure. Heehee) and Sam with their Mom, and soon Dad.

Now, that is happiness.

Happy Blogerversary.

The gFamily said...

Happy Blogoversary!

Steph said...

Oh, what a year it has been!!! Happy, happy, happy and worth every brown paperbag and every adoptioneous influenza symptom. ;)

Anonymous said...

Guess who is on my computer as my background? http://bp2.blogger.com/_QYHlbw3nUYA/R7w_vVvHrBI/AAAAAAAABW0/RhnNHgE1iTc/s1600-h/IMGP9670.JPG

I've introduced the new "borrowed granddaughter" of Padre and Peggy....everyone at Village School is totally in love with Miss Lucy...as are we. I'm hoping I still work here when she starts school. Love you kiddo and I know as you count the hours down to Keith's arrival and your family returning to Gorham, you must be so excited! Take care and know we love you and can't wait to see all of you. Hugs and Kisses to Sam and Miss Lucy....and you

Peg and Padre

Guatemama said...

Wow just think how things are going to change a year from now!! :) Oh you must be just flying high with Keith coming so soon!!
YEA!!!! I can't wait to see the pictures.
Tracy

Victoria and Joe said...

I haven't been around for the whole year but I bet looking back it has been amazing... Can you even imagine what the next year will be like? Happy Blogaversary